Sunday, April 7, 2013

Natural Weed Killer


Growing up in India I never knew Vinegar, when I came to USA I heard about it a lot but never knew what it was used for. 11 years back I used  bleach for cleaning  bathrooms or whitening my whites, but when my son was born I stopped using bleach as I didn't want my baby to have any problems.But even at that time I didn't know Vinegar can be used as a substitute for bleach. Well when my son was 2 years we moved to a bigger apartment, once again I trusted the bleach but this time it affected me a lot I had rashes all over my body and it was terrible.Finally one of my friend suggested Vinegar,I tried and has been hooked on using Vinegar for a lot of things. 

Vinegar has been my option for bleach and in regular cleaning, but today I discovered that when vinegar mixed with salt and dish detergent it can kill weeds..( ha..who knew something simple can be so powerful..).There might be a lot of people who already knew about this Natural weed killer,for me it's new.

Since Spring is here I figured I had to get my garden straightened out, there were weeds everywhere. Iam not a big fan of  all those commercial products, so I gave my trusted Vinegar a try, it was good then I thought maybe if I looked I can find something better..indeed I found it. I don't remember which site I got this but this was the recipe...

Recipe for Natural Weed Killer

4 cups of Vinegar 
1/2 cup of Salt 
1 tsp of dish detergent
1 empty spray bottle (I got mine from dollar store)


First put salt in the bottles and then slowly pour vinegar. After you poured the vinegar add 1 tsp of dish detergent. Now put the spout on the bottle and give it a gentle shake for the ingredients to mix.Now you are ready to attack the weeds.Soak the weeds with the solution and wait, next day the weeds will all be dried out and dead. For better results make sure you do this in the morning  and if it's a hot day even better.

 Now I don't have to tell my kids to stay away or lock them inside while I kill the weeds. It is safe for environment,pets and kids.

Thank you for everyone who has made this recipe and posted.

Let's all pitch in and make our kids future better by using more natural products.
I will try and find more natural recipes, I will try them first and then post them with the results.

Be safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment