Friday, April 19, 2013

Sri Rama Navami

 Today is Sri  Rama Navami,this is the day we celebrate the birth of Rama.I am happy that I am able to continue my traditions and able to teach my kids why we have so many festivals and significance of each one of them. As a kid we used to wait for festivals only to eat the yummy dishes my mom used to make. Go to temple with dad ,friends and participate in the festivities, watch the "kalyanam"(celebrating the union of Sri Rama and Sita Devi) and pray.

In Andhra Pradesh where I am from there is a place called Bhadrachalam where the "Kalyanam" is done every year and it is something people would like to visit atleast once in their lifetime. I visited a few times but any one is interested in knowing the history of this place go to http://www.bhadrachalarama.org/ .


Today I got to celebrate with my family here in USA and I was able to make special dishes called "Vadapappu(moog dal soaked in water)" and "Panakam(jaggery syrup in cold water with black pepper powder and powdered cardamom)".Along with these I made some other special dishes. It was a great day in all.

May Lord Rama bless you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment