Thursday, March 22, 2012

Precious...

Hello,

Well today I was quite busy,getting my house cleaning and getting everything ready for our "New Year". In our Indian culture we have many wonderful festivals,tomorrow's festival is called "Ugadi" meaning start of a new year. Like anybody we hope new year brings us peace,happiness and prosperity. Different cultures have different ways of welcoming new year and I am happy that my kids are able to learn both cultures.
On this day we  decorate our thresholds , pray to god, making different dishes,go to temple  listening to the priests about  almanac. Even if you do all the above or not but one thing is very important it's a chutney called "Ugadi pacchadi" which is a mix of every taste like our life.This particular chutney includes something sweet,sour,bitter,spicy,salty and pungent. Mainly all family members  meet up and celebrate it together, but being in US I miss that  a lot...anyway I am trying and will continue to celebrate my culture as my parents taught me to and impart whatever knowledge  I have to my kids.

Before I go to bed, I will just post something that me and my mother worked on many years ago,

 this is a saree that I love the most, because we worked on this together(mostly my mom :)). This is one of my precious treasures.
 The Embroidery is all done in "Pearl knots" if you touch the design it feels like tiny beads. It was very time consuming and a lot of pain,but it was all worth. It turned out so beautiful that even today when I wear it people can't stop complimenting. That's what I like about my mom, she is so determined that no one and nothing can stop her until she finishes.I love my mom so much...
I can't take the picture of the whole saree,so I am just showing it in parts.


Enjoy....Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment