Monday, December 2, 2013

Kitchen renovation 11/28/2013

11/28/2013: Renovation of my kitchen is finalized for today hopefully it will be smooth without any major surprises.....as one you I hope he feels better an see it is very old and things were falling apart....I wish I took more pictures,I was so excited...I forgot all about photos...I will try to post as we move along with the project and also my experience....
12/1/2013 : After removing the soffit we  had a surprise...which is increasing our budget....surprise was we found out on one side of the wall there was a return, so we had to move it back...I wish we knew that before.....now we have to wait and see....
12/2/2013 : The whole day they worked on removing the return and rerouting it...
Right now the house is a mess....and I hate it....
12/3/2013 : Today they worked on plumbing running new pipes.....frustrations are flying in the house and it is taking a toll on everyone.
I am just hoping there will be no more surprises and it will be done in 2 weeks as planned.... (X'ing  fingers)
12/6/2013 : Everything is coming together, recess lighting is in place...looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel...LOL....
12/12/2013:Our tiles are being installed... looks like One more week...




12/13/2013: work got delayed by a day as my tile guy got sick, well you cannot complain about situations lime these,  I hope he feels better...  I was able to get some other stuff done .
so no harm done. Just hope for the best...

12/15/2013 : Today we finalized the paints and backsplash tile.whoo hoo.....

12/16/2013 : looks like we are back on track...


12/23/2013 : well I think I keep getting ahead of myself about this reno. Right when I thought everything is going smooth we found out our contractor didn't check one of the cabinet size which messes our dishwasher placement. So now for another 4 weeks I will have no sink or dishwasher that means no counter top either.

Atleast they finished painting the walls and hooked up the range so at least I can cook something  for my kids.

As of now kitchen looks like is





12/24/2013 :

Today is Christmas Eve,   my dream of waking up in the morning and having a cup of joe peacefully while admiring my fully finished kitchen has been popped like a bubble which was turning into a colorful one. At this point I just want them to finish the job and get the hell out of my house. How many days can anyone bear strangers in your house?
In the midst of all this drama, yesterday  we found that one of the  sidekick of the contractor has been slowly sneaking my husband's tools, this is the guy who talks to you sweetly and give you an impression that he is working harder than any other person on the team.
Sometimes I wonder, are people forgetting something called "work ethic", no one really wants to admit that they made a mistake and apologize rather than covering up with excuses...hopefully (X'ing my fingers)  by next month end this will be done....  more to come as the drama unfolds :)... 


12/31/2013 :
Another year has almost come to an end....I am looking forward for next year as it is going to be a year of milestones for all members of my family..... well coming back to my kitchen, yesterday appliances were put back in to their places, as of now it looks like this...

2/6/2014:


I never thought of all the things in my life  a kitchen sink would give the utmost joy..(weird) 
Yesterday was the day when I got a chance to use my sink for the first time in almost 2 1/2 months.
After going through a lot of stress from past 2 months finally my kitchen is done except for some cosmetic stuff. I haven't updated anything from almost a month as I was way too depressed. At one point I even thought of doing everything myself and finish this. We spent most of our January with makeshift counter tops which were cement boards and backer boards. 

At this point, if anyone asks " Are you enjoying your new kitchen ?"  I  just say I am relieved it's  finished. Before all this started I was imaging the "AHA" moment in a totally different way, after going through a lot of disappointments and compromises throughout the project the "AHA" moment got totally lost.

It has been a bitter experience rather than a sweet experience. It is not like I was expecting everything to go smooth because I have been through some when my husband did the projects around the house.

Well as of now I am just trying to get back to my normal schedule which was disrupted with this whole project.
 I will post my whole journey, lessons learned  and things I could have done to avoid them from happening... and  a lot more....

Have a great day . 

No comments:

Post a Comment